Go to WDVA Home Page

Assistance to Needy Veterans & Family Members

Who Qualifies | Aid to Military Families | Health Care Aid | Subsistence Aid | How to Apply


The Assistance to Needy Veterans Grant (ANVG) program provides limited financial assistance to those in need and who have exhausted all other sources of aid. The grants may be used for specified health care and subsistence needs up to maximum grant limits.

Maximum Award

There is a lifetime cumulative grant award limit per veteran of $7,500.

Note: Applications for the Assistance to Needy Veterans must be submitted through your local CVSO.

Return to top of page

Who Qualifies?

The applicant must be a resident of Wisconsin. The veteran must meet general eligibility requirements.

Eligible veterans who demonstrate financial need and have exhausted other forms of aid may qualify.

Financial need must be demonstrated through an assessment of current income and the household's liquid assets. The household income limit for this program is set by law at 180% of current federal poverty guidelines. Liquid assets, including checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds, life insurance policies with a cash value, and funds in retirement accounts, cannot exceed $1,000 in order to be eligible for the health care portion of this grant.

Applicants must have applied for and been denied or determined to be ineligible for all other applicable aid programs, including Unemployment Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, BadgerCare, federal VA health care, etc.

Additional Resources:

Return to top of page

Health Care Aid

Financial assistance up to the lifetime maximum of $7,500 may be provided to qualified eligible applicants for:

  • Dental care – restorative care shall not exceed $500 in any consecutive 12-month period except when an upper and lower denture is required and each denture shall not exceed $1,875 in any consecutive 48-month period.
  • Vision care – means a vision exam by a licensed vision care provider and a prescription for lens and frame. Vision care shall not exceed $400.00 for both a vision exam and the purchase of lens and frame in any consecutive 12-month period.
  • Hearing care – is limited to $200 in any consecutive 12-month period except when a left or right hearing aid is required, each hearing aid shall not exceed $1,875 in any consecutive 48-month period.

Grant awards for health care and subsistence aid combined cannot exceed the Assistance to Needy Veterans Grant Program $7,500 lifetime limit.

Approved applicants will receive a Description of Benefits (DOB) that will list approved care and the time period during which the care must be obtained. The DOB should be given to the health care provider you chose who will return it to WDVA with billing information. Payments will be sent directly from WDVA to the health care provider. If an outstanding DOB exists, binding quotes from a provider are necessary in order to have an additional DOB issued. Invoices for health care services that are received more than 30 days after the expiration of the DOB or any applicable extension will be denied.

Note: The department may not provide health care aid under this program unless the aid recipient's health care provider agrees to accept, as full payment for the health care provided, the amount of the payment, the amount of the recipient's health insurance or other third-party payments, if any, and the amount that the department determines the applicant is capable of paying.

Return to top of page

Subsistence Aid

Financial aid may be provided when there is a loss of income due to illness, injury, or natural disaster. WDVA must receive application within 120 days of income loss onset date. Grants are awarded for subsistence aid for any 30-day period, up to a maximum of three months (90 days). Grant awards cannot exceed $3,000 during any consecutive 12-month period, or the Assistance to Needy Veterans grant program $7,500 lifetime limit.

Return to top of page

Aid to Military Families

Unremarried surviving spouses and dependent children of an eligible veteran who died in the line of duty while on active duty or inactive duty for training OR, the qualified spouse and dependent children of an activated or deployed military service member, who have suffered or are suffering a loss of income because of the activation or deployment and have experienced an economic emergency, may qualify for assistance.

An economic emergency includes:

  • Failure of the sole means of transportation.
  • Failure of a stove or refrigerator or of heating, electrical or plumbing systems, etc.
  • A medical emergency.
  • Severe damage to the primary residence as a result of a natural disaster.

The service member must be a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or of the Wisconsin National Guard who has been activated or deployed to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. The service member must be a resident of Wisconsin. For military family members, federal poverty guidelines do not apply, although a loss of income due to the deployment or activation must be demonstrated.

Return to top of page

How to Apply

Your County Veterans Service Officer will help with eligibility questions and the application process. For more information and questions about this program, contact your CVSO, or WDVA at 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387), ask to speak to the Grants Section.