Eligibility Requirements – Special Programs
Military service requirement for burial in Wisconsin State Veterans Cemeteries must be in accordance with the eligibility standards as set by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs – National Cemetery Administration, and as a minimum must meet one of the following:
- Veteran was discharged from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions, or
- Veteran died while on active duty, or
- Veteran served at least 20 years in the National Guard and Reserves and qualified for military retirement pay (or would have qualified except death occurred before age 60).
Wisconsin state residency requirement for burial in state veterans cemeteries – must meet one of the following:
- Veteran was a Wisconsin resident at the time of entry into military service, or
- Veteran was a Wisconsin resident at the time of death, or
- Veteran was a Wisconsin resident for 12 consecutive months anytime after entering military service.
- NOTE: There is no residency requirement for a veteran who dies while on active duty.
Spouses and dependent children of veterans who were eligible for burial also may be interred in state veterans cemeteries. See the family eligibility requirements.
Veterans who qualify for state veterans benefits are eligible for military honors at their funeral. Others with military service may also be eligible for military funeral honors.
Wisconsin veterans are eligible to apply to become members of a state veterans home if they have served on active duty for at least 90 days, one day of which must be within a wartime period, or if they have served on active duty, during a peacetime period, for two or more years or the full period of their initial service obligation, whichever is less. Spouses of eligible veterans may also apply to become members. The applicant must be a Wisconsin resident on the date of admission to the Home. See the state residency requirements.
Veterans who served in the U.S. armed forces under conditions other than dishonorable are eligible for the Veterans Assistance Program, which helps homeless veterans and those at-risk of becoming homeless obtain steady jobs and affordable housing.