Go to WDVA Home Page

Veterans Education (VetEd) Reimbursement Grant


The Veterans Education (VetEd) grant program provides a reimbursement grant for tuition and fees following successful course completion.

Eligible Wisconsin veterans who have not yet been awarded a bachelor’s degree may use VetEd to pursue educational or vocational objectives up to a bachelor’s degree at an eligible UW, technical college, or approved private institution of higher education. Reimbursement is currently up to 100% of the tuition and fees not covered by other grants, scholarships, or remissions. The maximum reimbursement is the equivalent of the UW–Madison rate for the same number of credits, up to the full-time rate. The reimbursement percentage may be adjusted periodically to reflect demand and available funding.

How to Apply

Veterans may apply for VetEd through their County Veterans Service Officer, apply online, or download an application, WDVA 2200. Online applications are the preferred method due to efficiency, faster processing, and can't be delayed or lost in the mail.

The application must be received by the department or an authorized agent no later than 60 days after the start of the course, term or semester for which reimbursement is being sought, or the grant will be denied.

Schools that Qualify

To be eligible, a school must qualify as an institution of higher education under the statutes, an institution where the applicant is receiving a waiver of nonresident tuition under the statutes, a high school, or a school approved by the State Approving Agency or the Educational Approval Board.

What Courses can be Reimbursed

The course must contribute to a degree, certificate of graduation or course completion. Courses offered under clock-hour standards are not eligible.

Correspondence courses or part-time classroom study may be approved if taken from an approved school and either of the following applies:

  • The part-time classroom study is not offered within 50 miles of the veteran’s residence and the school where it is offered is located not more than 50 miles from the state boundary.
  • The correspondence course is not offered in-state.

Courses taken at a school other than the one at which the veteran will receive a degree, certificate of graduation or course completion, can only be approved if the course must be necessary to complete the degree, certificate or course completion, the course is accepted for transfer by the degree-granting school and is not available at that school.

Successful Completion Required

Veterans must achieve at least 2.0 grade point average or an average grade of "C" in the semester for which reimbursement is requested to be eligible for reimbursement.

Amount of Reimbursement Available

The maximum amount of credits for which a veteran may receive reimbursement is based on the amount of time the veteran served on active duty. Active Duty For Training does not count toward general or VetEd eligibility.

Active Duty Time Maximum Amount of Credits or Semesters
90 to 180 days 30 credits or two semesters
181 to 730 days 60 credits or four semesters
731 days or more 120 credits or eight semesters

Past usage of obsolete WDVA education grants, e.g., Part Time Study Grant (PTSG) or Tuition & Fees Reimbursement Grant (TFRG), has no bearing on the number of credits or semesters the veteran is eligible to be reimbursed under VetEd. TFRG or PTSG applications will be returned by the department to the veteran.

National Guard Tuition Grant & Reserve Tuition Assistance Program

Veterans eligible for the National Guard Tuition Grant (NGTG) or Reserve Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) are not eligible for VetEd. A veteran’s eligibility for either of these other grants is the criterion for VetEd eligibility, not whether the veteran has applied for either.

Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 GI Bill & Wisconsin GI Bill

Veterans may currently receive federal VA Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill benefits and VetEd for the same semester. Individuals eligible for Wisconsin GI Bill benefits must apply for, and use those benefits in order to be eligible for VetEd reimbursement. VetEd reimbursement will be reduced to the extent that tuition and fees have already been paid by other grants, scholarships, and remissions provided for the payment of tuition and fees, including federal VA Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill tuition benefits.

Time Restrictions

Veterans may use VetEd for full-time or part-time study up to their 10-year anniversary of leaving active duty (delimiting date). Once a veteran reaches the 10-year delimiting date, he or she may be enrolled as a full-time student, but will be reimbursed up to eleven credits for academic periods that begin after May 27, 2010. Also, after the delimiting date, the department will bank a maximum of 60 unused credits and track the credits as they are used.

Income Limitations

To be eligible for VetEd, the veteran’s household income must be below $50,000 plus $1,000 for each dependent in excess of two dependents. The department may request a veteran’s current income tax records to ensure that the applicant does not exceed the income cap. If your employment status has changed since you last filed your taxes, and if the change will impact on your eligibility for a grant, please contact the department.

Payment Processing Time

Once final grades are turned in and the School Veterans Official has reviewed and submitted the application to WDVA, checks are normally issued within 5-10 business days—if the application is complete.

When submitting an application you can minimize delays in processing by providing a complete application. Items that are often not included are:  current address, a source of income verification (e.g., current income tax form) or other acceptable documents, and other financial aid documentation.

If payment is not received on an approved grant after ten business days, you can contact the WDVA accounting department to determine your check's status at 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387).

WARNING: The WDVA receives a statewide support lien docket listing all individuals who have a delinquent child-support obligation in Wisconsin. According to state law, the WDVA may not approve a Veterans Education Grant for any applicant on the docket unless the applicant provides one of the following items:

  • Provides a statement signed by the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families or its designee showing that all delinquent obligations have been paid.

  • A copy of a child-support repayment agreement that has been kept current for the six month period before the date the WDVA receives the application as long as no lien exists.